Zhaoxin’s first discrete GPU shown
Zhaoxin, a joint venture between Chinese company Shanghai SASAC (which controls an 80% stake) and Taiwan-based processor developer Via Technologies (which owns the remaining 20%). Last year it revealed its intention to launch a standalone GPU and it looks like Zhaoxin has managed to produce one.
GlenFly Technology, a graphics subsidiary of Zhaoxin which is an official assignee of the recently released Zhaoxin graphics patents (through @ Loeschzwerg_3DC for the link) an image from a graphics card that runs the Unigine Heaven benchmark on a 22-inch Full HD LCD display at 32 frames per second (FPS). Considering the fact that GlenFly is not supposed to run third-party hardware, we can assume that the card is indeed based on a Zhaoxin GPU.
Last year, Zhaoxin promised a standalone graphics processor that supports a DirectX 11.1 or DirectX 12 feature set with 70W thermal design power implemented using TSMC’s 28nm manufacturing process. Such a GPU isn’t going to set performance records by today’s standards, but it can certainly serve entry-level desktops. Until fairly recently, Via Technologies used GPU cores developed by S3 Graphics for base processors, so it is possible to use the same IP for something else.
Card shown has a discrete form factor, has no auxiliary PCIe power slots (that is, its power consumption is less than 75W supplied by a PCIe x16 slot), uses a modest cooler and has an HDMI and a D- Secondary display output.
Unigine Heaven is a 2009 benchmark that builds on the capabilities of DirectX 11 and is designed primarily for stability testing. Modern graphics cards can easily hit hundreds of FPS in this test, but since we don’t know GlenFly’s test settings, we will refrain from drawing any conclusions about GPU performance.
There is a Claim based a post in a Chinese forum that the GPU depicted is Zhaoxin’s Ji Rui 3000 which has been canceled, although we could not verify this. Keeping in mind that the image was released in 2021 and that older benchmarks are typically run on GPUs during their display process, it may be too early to say the chip has been rolled back.
Neither Zhaoxin nor GlenFly Technology have ever officially announced a discrete GPU, so it’s impossible to draw any conclusions about the graphics card shown by GlenFly. Meanwhile, it’s pretty obvious that the two companies have actually built a stand-alone GPU for desktop PCs.