Nvidia: Gamers Spend $300 More To Buy RTX 3000 Cards Than Previous GPUs
It’s no secret that the price of many graphics cards today has been terrible due to chip shortages, tariffs and continued demand. But now Nvidia itself has confirmed that we all pay a lot more for the company’s GPUs.
On Tuesday, Nvidia hosted an Investor Day, where it revealed some interesting information about the current-gen RTX 3000 graphics cards. “Looking at the millions of desktop GeForce gamers that we know have upgraded their GPUs to a 30-series, they’re buying,” Nvidia’s SVP Jeff Fisher said at the event.
“The GPU offers more value than ever. According to our data, they are spending $300 more than they paid for the graphics card they replaced,” he added.
Fisher made the statement while touting Nvidia’s growth in the gaming market. The increased spending is certainly good news for the company, but not so much for consumers looking to own an affordable graphics card.
For example, the company’s RTX 3060 Ti product is said to start at $399. But many sellers actually sold the product for $560-$699, and that’s at regular retail price. At the same time, low GPU inventory likely prompted some buyers to pay more out of desperation.
Starting prices for Nvidia products have also changed over the years. In 2016, the GeForce GTX 1070 initially launched for $379. Meanwhile, the current-gen RTX 3070 has a starting price of $499, although in reality many vendors are selling it for $700 or more.
On Investor Day, Fisher added that only about 29% of Nvidia’s gamer base has switched to an RTX GPU. The remaining 71% is still on older GTX graphics. Therefore, Nvidia says it still has a lot of untapped growth in the gaming market.
Recommended by our editors
The company is also expected to introduce its successor to the RTX 3000 series, likely around September, which will give consumers another reason to upgrade. But a big question is how much will GPUs cost. If the prices are crazy, then count us.
In the meantime, Nvidia said supplies of the company’s products are expected to improve in the second half of this year, which could also lead to lower prices. “We would be happy to reduce that (the prices),” Nvidia chief financial officer Collete Kress said in December. today.”
Additionally, the company plans to manufacture the RTX 3000 series for a while, even after the launch of next-gen GPUs, to help meet demand.
Receive our best stories!
Sign up for What’s up now to get our top stories delivered to your inbox every morning.